Monday 21 June 2010

Broome, Ticks and Strawberries

Today started in the woods with the newly risen sun and the ticks [I found and destroyed four of the things in my legs and one in the dog]. The broome has past; I was out of the Kingscliffe for just two weeks while we were in Lyme and my ankle was bending in the wrong directions and already we're onto the foxgloves whilst the broome is in seed-pod and growing all over the paths. Yet not even the broome competes with the brambles [coming into flower] or the all dominant, pan-indigenous bracken which is now above chest height. The woods are coming to life faster infinately than my running; even the heather is coming into flower. It is a wonderful place, only a few miles long and less than a mile wide yet I did a five mile run there without re-tracing more than a few yards.


The day ended with delicious strawberries, the first from our garden [BTW there were more than two, but these were the only ones left uneaten by the girls by the time I had found the camera]. The tomatoes are coming into flower, the pumpkins are germinating and the rhubarb is as ever, producing more than we can eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment