Monday 15 March 2010

Fires and gardens

The last few days have seen me, among other things:
  • clinging on for dear life, half way down a cliff on the edge of an island cutting grass [all of this masquerades as a part of our garden [which was built by a man who seriously liked his digger and left two steep 'islands' on each side of the drive.

  • cooking tea on the fire for the first time in this house. It wasn't quite like the Parc fire [pictured] and the cast iron, so heavy that you can barely lift it, lethal weapon style, frying pan, with which you can cook for 10 [also pictured], but it was fun and its great having a real fire in the house.

  • liberating kindling and fallen branches from Kingscliffe Woods for the said fire.

  • putting up the zip wire AKA death slide and then falling off it as the wire breaks - I'm now on the hunt for 20m of replacement cable.

  • setting up the rest of the adventure playground in the garden and the swings on the apple tree.

  • leading the Mothering Sunday service in a packed and wonderfully friendly and responsive St Mary's - and managing to get the radio microphones working all of 3 minutes before the service started.

  • running 8.25 miles at 7.30mins a mile - I'm usually on 8min miles when I'm running on my own, but the Quantock Harriers speed me up.

  • cutting up some toffee brownies that were so chewy as to be all but inedible into very very small pieces and then putting them into my latest batch of ice cream, where they work well. I guess that there's a reason why most people make chocolate brownies and no one else has done toffee ones.

It's been a good few days. I now need to return to work and a scary 'to do' list. Painting, admin, training, sawing wood and exploring something that might make some real money - it's amazing how easy it is to fill a very good life with loads of interesting and valuable stuff, none of which earns me any money at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment